Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ghost Rider and The Prestige

A few moons ago a bunch of guys and I went to Ghost Rider. It was Josh Z, James B, Chris P, Nick O, Ben B, Andrew S, Andrew T, and I. In retrospect, I kind of wonder why I did it. It would not be the first movie I’d want to see in theaters (or anywhere), that’s for sure. But I really wanted to get off campus and do things with people and I had a car. So I did. The getting off campus and doing things with people was a lot of fun. Kind of weird being the only girl with seven guys, but it was definitely fun. The movie on the other hand sucked. It just. . . sucked. When we got out of the theater, I couldn’t even come up with a good argument against it. I couldn’t even come up with words. All I could do was make frustrated sounds. I think Andrew and Andrew were amused. Eventually the three of us got past the shock of the stupidity of the movie and began tearing it apart. We ripped on it all the way back to campus and into the next day. Nothing like a group of people all hating on the same thing. I was trying to think of SOMETHING that was possibly good in the movie, but the more I thought, the more I realized that there was nothing good in the movie. The plot was dumb, liberal nuns have better theology, the dialogue left much to be desired, no artsy camera shots, no good special effects (a motorcycle on fire is as good as it gets), no nothing. Ahh! (There I go again with the frustrated noises.)

This past Friday night, Colin and I were left with nothing to do, because nunchaku class was canceled due to Spring Break. So we got a pizza and went to place and watched The Prestige with Mike P. Oh wow. If Ghost Rider was an ‘ahh!’, The Prestige was a ‘wow!’ Throughout the whole movie I was kind of confused, but it wasn’t a bad confusion. Actually, I think confusion is the wrong word, but I’m not sure what the right one is. I guess I was desperately trying to figure out what was going on before they told me. Colin managed to, but I didn’t. Part of the problem was the volume was way down because Joe was sickly. The other Colin came down at some point. After it was over, we all picked through it and found out just how amazing it was. Like, there was nothing wrong with that movie. As Colin gave me a ride back to campus, I told him that I felt that I’d atoned for watching Ghost Rider. A movie with nothing good, and a movie with nothing bad. Seems to satisfy the law of equivalent exchange. (I’ve also been watching Full Metal Alchemist.)

So the moral of the story is don’t watch Ghost Rider, but do watch The Prestige. I actually think I’m going to watch that one again. And maybe a third time. We’ll see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Propter Quid said...

"Satan may have my soul...
but he doesn't have my spirit!"

God Bless.

8:11 PM  
Blogger White Phantom said...

That needs to win worst movie line of the year or something. Or many stupidest thing to ever come out of a person's mouth.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Scarcely Human said...

Fitting that Nicholas Cage would win THAT award...

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home